Monday, December 12, 2005

Rain and Garbage!

Frankly, I have nothing against some cloud cover. In fact I absolutely love it. It's the constant rain I can't stand, that and the garbage floating in the streets now. No, it's not a pretty sight. A month ago, I could overhear conversations in the trains about Mumbai being flooded and how that could never happen here. Heh, look who's quiet now!

The way the Municipal Corporation handles the whole thing is quite systematic (should we be grateful?):
1. Remove muck from stormwater drain and place on road.
2. Let rain water spread muck evenly over road.
3. Wait for summertime.
4. Spend crores of money on scraping muck off road and piling it on the pavement.
5. Wait one month for it to rain in Mumbai.
6. Push muck back in drain.

It's brilliant. Even I admit it, it is a perfect loop. There is absolutely no flaw, no danger of running out of muck because they can always create the muck if they don't have any left after it dries on the road. The only real problem is when the road is the muck. Well, I thought it was a real problem, until I saw how the Corporation handled it. They just pushed the whole road (actually, what was left of it after the Telecom and Water departments got it) into the drain. Sheer Genius! (Yes, that is a capital 'G'.)

By now, I am tempted to capitalise the 'M' in muck and I probably shall if I refer to it any later than here. Then it would be Muck, like Godzilla see, and that's a good analogy because both are Terrors of Crowded Cities.
In any case, the kind of people I hate most are those who take all their garbage and dump it on the pavement. And then to make it worse, they'll try dumping it all in one spot, presumably to attempt to create some garbage sculpture of Mt. Everest (to scale), and this leads to half of the garbage flowing out on the streets. This ,naturally, is very convenient for pedestrians, who enjoy trying to dodge human faeces, dog faeces, cow faeces, and the lower slopes of the garbage mountains. In fact, these obstacles make very sombre-looking people act very lively, which is never uninteresting.

And then of course, there's the mandatory girls-without-umbrellas incident, which must have happened to a helluva lot of people; that is, if you believe the Life Insurance ads on TV. Sometimes I laugh myself senseless at the stupidity of it all. I think I'll go do that now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roshan George said...

And again, all over again

4:47 AM  
Blogger Sundar said...

Wiyoats.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home